- Make more of an effort with friends and family
This one is not going too badly, although it could be better. I’ve been reaching out and reconnecting with some old friends and we’ve had some good times. I’ve still got a long way to go with this one but its a start :).
- Create a new habit of regular meditation.
FAIL so far. Not managed to get into this at all. My mind still races non-stop and I still need to find the gaps in it all and learn to be silent. Must refocus on this. I’m considering joining a meditation course starting in June to kickstart me into action.
- Bank £50,000
I’ve got till the end of the year to do this and may well achieve it. However, given the recent economic turmoil and the pathetic interest rates on holding cash in a bank, it may be that I am better off investing any spare cash into cashflow-generating businesses or ventures.
- Spend at least 6 months outside the UK
So far I’ve spent 2 months away. To achieve this, I’d need to be ready to up and leave at the start of September for the last 4 months of the year. I’ve committed to some local projects here for a while so not sure if this will happen at the moment. I’ll definately be looking for some kind of long break though, need a holiday soon!
- Attend more industry trade shows and networking events
BIG FAIL so far. I’ve not been able to attend anything so far. I’ll try to get to an event over the summer. Trouble is we’re so far away from everything down here in Cornwall :).
- Simplify my projects
This is something I am constantly trying to do but it seems like for every project I drop, I start another 3. Its a battle to try and keep focused. I also seem to have issues with letting go. Perhaps I invest too much emotion into my work or perhaps I am afraid that I will lose what I have and not be able to get it back. Not sure at the moment. One things for sure though – I do need to reduce my projects, or at least see some to completion.
I also want to add a couple more goals to focus on for the rest of 2009.
- Get more exercise – Getting the blod flowing is a great way to clear the mind and release stress. I aim to get at least 20 mins of exercise per day. This will include running, gym sessions and a range of sport (squash, tennis, surfing etc).
- Improve work/leisure balance – I have a tendency to sit at the PC for ridiculous lengths of time and at the moment I am very out of balance with work/life. I aim to start some new hobbies and make sure my life is not one long work day.
I’ll post back in a couple of months or so with another update. If anyone is reading this, I’d love to hear what you think. Any goal areas I am lacking in? How are you getting on with your own goals?
Please leave a comment and let me know what you think below.